Tuesday, July 8, 2014

The Place Beyond the Pines - Derek Cianfrance (2012)


          Let's get the obvious out of the way first: Ryan Gosling is HAWT.  OK, now for the film: it's very gripping, in the kind of way where I'm like "Oh, I really don't want to watch this. Oh, now I really don't want to watch this. Oh no, please just let this have a happy ending." BUT I did watch it and it was pretty effin heart-wrenching. And ya know what? That's not a bad thing. It's not bad to feel something when you watch a movie; it's not a bad thing to face the truth that shit like this happens in the world because of the choices people make. I think this film shows both the weakness of strength of men. I appreciate that someone was willing to address this topic, willing to show how the various roles men have in a family and in their communities as leaders, providers, and protectors really affect the people around them for good or terrible.
   There are lots of interesting angles one could take in examining this film, but for now, I'd just like to say:

WATCH IT

No comments:

Post a Comment