Thursday, May 15, 2014

Chinatown - Roman Polanski (1974)


          I have a problem with everyone calling this a Film Noir. I think this film intentionally flip-flopped the classic Film Noir. Rather than barely lit - it's extremely bright in most of the scenes. Often the sun is used like classic Noir's used shadow - by shooting at the golden hour of sunset, the sunlight has a particular aesthetic effect that oppositely mirrors the look of a black night with a single street light. That may not make sense..
                    SPOILERS (but this movie's been around for 40 years - you should've seen it already)
         The story is in some ways opposite a Noir - the main character isn't a crook, doesn't really get involved in crime, and doesn't die. The questionable "femme" is no "fatale", but is herself killed, and is a victim in other ways as well - not often the case with the classics - they're simply portrayed as evil... I guess we can thank a slight rise in Feminism of the 70s for that variation. Basically, I wouldn't call this Noir, I'd call it a crime, mystery film in tribute to Film Noir.
But honestly, I thought the cinematography was pretty shitty, poorly composed, sloppy. The music was interesting though, and the main characters are decently developed and OK, but I definitely don't particularly like either of them. If it weren't for the story, the actors' status, and the rarity of this type of film, I don't think it would be so praised.    SO...  I say watch it because it's one of those movies you just have to see to be into Film, and because it's entertaining. I would never call it great - I'd give it a rather half-assed "good."

Watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment