Thursday, May 15, 2014

Punch-Drunk Love - Paul Thomas Anderson (2002)



          I hated this. All right... lemme lay it out: stupid story, which is normally fine, but when everything else sucks, it matters. The "love" aspect of it makes no sense. It's very loose with regards to narrative and character - you're not sure who anyone is and why you should give a shit about them. It's not funny, and I'm guessing it wanted to be. (?) It also tries to be artistic, but the "art" doesn't connect with anything, so it's just silly colors flying around for no reason. One thing I did appreciate was the use of sound - it effectively recreated what it must have been like to be in Barry's head. Basically, this film had acceptable things to work with - good actors, sufficient plot, good composition, interesting soundtrack, but... it just didn't come together well. In the end, I was pissed off that I let it sit on my watchlist so long without deleting it and even more pissed that I wasted 1.5 hours watching it - 1.5 hours I could've spent watching one of the other 250 titles on my watchlist.

Don't watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment