Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Lost River - Ryan Gosling (2015)


          I love this movie. It swept me up and held me captive with its vibrant visual palette. The whole time, I felt like I was in the most incredible art exhibit. Everything felt new and alive. Then there's that song Rat plays, the scene soaked in neon purple light. AH. There's something so magical about this film. Yes, it's creepy and slightly horrific, but the magic of it was so intense to me. Gosling obviously wanted this to be a visually stunning piece. Almost every single shot looks like a photograph in an art gallery, which may be why the critics didn't like it - slap the "pretentious" label on it and be done with it. But I'm sitting here like, why the hell wouldn't you want every single shot to look like it could hang in an art gallery?? Stop thinking and let yourself be absorbed in it. Apart from the visuals, the editing is strange and jumpy at times, which made it feel unreal in a way that drew you into the magic (unless you're one of those people who need everything to make sense). For me, the point where it lacks is the story, but as someone who's not a fan of strict narratives, it didn't really bother me. At the end, I think I just wanted something more. I'm not sure what that was, but I feel like it was related to the story structure.

WATCH IT.

No comments:

Post a Comment