Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Blue Ruin - Jeremy Saulnier (2014)


          I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. It's like a darker, deeper version of a Coen brothers film. What makes it not a Coen film is that it's not trying to make crime funny, like Blood Simple or Fargo, and it's not trying to be badass, like No Country for Old Men (yes there's more to the film than being badass). Still it has that vibe of ordinary people doing and being confronted with ruthless acts of violence. This is something that seems to pique people's interest - to see how far someone will go, someone with whom we can identify, someone that could easily be ourselves. I won't go into the story at all, because I don't want to "ruin" it ;), but what mostly drew me in is the main character, who hardly speaks and is capable of what any human is capable of, whether or not we want to acknowledge it. It's a tough movie, but...

Definitely watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment