Sunday, December 6, 2015

Au hasard Balthazar - Robert Bresson (1966)


          This was a hard movie to watch. I thought I would feel really sad for Balthazar, and I did, but I felt more for Marie and even then I wasn't released to truly sympathize. Balthazar comes in and out of her life. Sometimes she's sweet to him, other times she doesn't pay much attention to him. What was surprising to me is how unemotional and completely unsentimental this film is. I at least expected to read my own emotional, sentimental values into it. Where I expected to feel sympathy, I felt almost nothing. Even though this is a sad story, I think this young girl's apathy and confusion is what's most sad. It's a sadness that isn't felt. Honestly, it was a strange experience. I would have rather cried, but the film wouldn't let me. I think that was the point, but I'm not sure I get it. This is a movie I would like to return to and I definitely recommend it.

Watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment