Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Decalogue - Krzysztof Kieslowski (1989)


          The Ten Commandments have never been something I think about often. I usually assume I'm doing okay with those, probably not killing or stealing or having other gods... hopefully. This series of films puts the Commandments into situations I understand and could see myself being part of. There's something so real about these films, a reality I haven't experienced with any other film. Rather than use metaphors and symbols to reveal truth, Kieslowski uses truth to reveal truth. What's more true than physical, inescapable consequences? In my reading of the film, I felt that there was no abstract in the world Kieslowski created, only truth and consequences, and at the same time we sympathize with the people and their mistakes, because we know it could be and probably has been one of us making those same choices.

Watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment