Sunday, December 6, 2015

The Son - Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne (2002)


          Honestly, I don't think there's much going on in this movie. Sure, realism is an effective way to tell a story and keep the characters and their lives as the main focus, but it's just not interesting. I was interested in the movie as I watched it, but by the end I said "Okay." It doesn't evoke much. Sure, I'm polluted by the craziness of today's movies, but I didn't feel much depth in this film. It's not bad, but it's not great. The scope of it is so small, which I can appreciate in a sense because it values these people's lives, but it didn't really do anything with that value it places on them. I like the way German filmmakers handle small stories better. They have a way of making you fall in love with the littlest, most unimportant people. This movie had a beginning, middle, end. Eh. Maybe if I become a parent one day it will mean more to me.

Watch it or don't watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment