Sunday, December 6, 2015

To The Wonder - Terrence Malick (2002)


          For the first half hour or more of this movie, I felt very uncomfortable with how romantic the camera was with this couple. I felt stupid watching this for how overly dramatic the camera is when I don't even know these people. While I still feel unsure about Malick's intentions (and by unsure, I mean I think he maybe went overboard), the movie did have a strange effect on me. Because of the sweeping camera movements and too-close close-ups of hands touching and people doing things nobody does in real life, I distanced myself from the characters and watched intently for something solid to develop between them and between myself and them. I'm not sure it ever did, but by the end of the movie, I was crying.
          Despite the awkwardness I felt with this movie, it hit something real inside me. Romance is fleeting. I remember those first moments of touch, those magical moments of serenity in that someone's presence, but my heart was cold to them when the movie began. As this couple struggles through life, I remembered those struggles, that loss, the anger and the hurt. I think I cried for the loss and the hurt I can't forget, but also for the magic and the touch I wish I could hold onto.
          Every relationship is a terrible adventure. I'm sure I would write this differently if I weren't single and painfully lonely, but in a way I treasure these times alone because life is so real.

Anyway, you should watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment